Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Fierce Winds of Winter

Went for a walk in the strong, dry, warm winds that caused my hair to seek shelter even as my eyebrows were beating like bat wings.

I popped into the Airstream, there to sit in the dark for a few minutes to reflect. I went back in time to an dark Winter's eve on the Plaza. I was talking to a friend at Alex's when a sheet of solid rain began to fall with such prominence that I walked to the windows in amazement.

It went on for about 15 minutes, then the power went out. About then a fierce wind gusted through the Plaza and into the Park, there blowing over a half-dozen large trees. Seconds later a manhole cover in the street exploded upward for 40 feet, then fell back to the asphalt, barely missing a Volkswagen van that was hunting for a parking space.

I shook my head, went back to the table and lit a candle. Some entity was pissed and passed me by.

I like it that way.

No comments: