Monday, February 07, 2005

The Lost Drums of Time

I walk my dog, Spooky, down through the Railroad Lands below "A" street daily. Some months ago I began to hear what sounded like a gushing of a pump or the beating of a drum, this from fenced off area which seemed like a diesel collection system, this to attempt to clean up after many decades of spills and other discharges of petrochemicals.
The sound seems to go upward, this from vertical tunnels in the earth. I'm sure that there is some explanation for the recent increase in decibels, but, truthfully, don't feel that the RR or the City care enough to look into it.

At some point the drumming will stop and if we don't find a fried pump, my money is that we'll find the sun-baked bones of Ancient Drummer, warning us away from the poison that we try our hardest to ignore.

No comments: